Best Student Credit Card Discover, is a great card for first-timers, with excellent cash back if spent in it’s rotating categories.
Discover offers two credit cards for students. They are; The Discover it® Chrome for Students and Discover it® Student Cash Back.
The Discover it® Chrome for Students
The basic difference between both cards, is cash back you earn on the Discover it® Student Cash Back.
The Discover it® Chrome for Students offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants for up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter, after which you earn 1%.
In comparison the Discover it® Student Cash Back wins over The Discover it® Chrome for students, which is why we will dwell more on the Discover it® Student Cash Back in this article.
- Students who are new to credit cards who spend in the card’s rotating cashback categories
- Those who are new to credit
- Those who have a fair credit score of 580 or higher.
- No annual fee
- Limited-time bonuses, like cashback match and good grades reward
- Get rewards up to 5% cash back in rotating categories
- Intro APR, for purchases and balance transfers
- Students, can use their cash back at Amazon.com
- Designed with consumer friendly account features
- Shop abroad with ease with no foreign transaction fees
- Get your FICO score for free
Student Credit Card Discover Fees & Interest Rates
- Annual Fee – $0
- Purchase APR – 15.24% – 24.24% (Variable)
- Intro Purchase APR – 0% for the first 6 months (thereafter 15.24% – 24.24% Variable)
- Balance Transfer APR – 15.24% – 24.24% Variable
- Intro Balance Transfer APR – 10.99% for the first 6 months (thereafter 15.24% – 24.24% Variable)
- Balance Transfer Fee – 3%
- Cash Advance Rate – 27.24% Variable
- Cash Advance Fee – $10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater
- Interest Free Period – Up to 25 days
- Late Payment Fee – Up to $37
- Returned Payment Fee – Up to $37.
Things You Should Know Before you Apply
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a college student
- Be a US citizen or resident
- Full name, address, and contact information
- Total annual gross income, monthly housing payment and total available assets
- Social Security number and mother’s maiden name
- School info, your degree type and your expected graduation date.
What Credit Score Do I Need?
Customers with no credit are welcome by Discover. Those who have poor credit may not be approved for the card.
- Visit the Discover website, and tap on the “Apply Now” tab
- Key in your name and choose a card design
- Complete the application form by filling in your address, contact info, as well as your income information
- Enter also your mother’s maiden name, school information, checking and savings account info, and school mailing address.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will it take to get my Discover it® Student Cash Back?
Applicant can likely get a decision immediately he/she applies. In case you have issues with your application, you may have to wait up to a few weeks for a decision.
Once you are approved, you can expect to get the card within 7 to 10 business days.
Can I use a student credit card anywhere?
Yes you can. Use your card anywhere Discover is accepted, because it’s a normal credit card.
Do I need a co-applicant when I apply for this card?
No, you do not need a co-applicant except Discover asks for one. You may need one if your income or credit score is not enough.
Do I still need to make payments on my card during my intro APR period?
Yes, you’ll be required to make at least the minimum payment each month to avoid delinquency on your card payments.
Student Credit Card Discover Customer Service Number
Contact the customer care unit by calling at 1-800-DISCOVER, for enquires on Student Credit Card Discover.